What a day!! Wow. I don’t think I actually sat down until nearly 6pm!
Since I was more than a little hectic and was too busy sprinting from building to building to take any pictures of today, I’ll do a ‘day in the life of’ post for today. (everyone get excited)
Let’s start with what I had planned (since this usually drastically differs from what actually happens):
- 1 hr swim
- 50 min bike
- Industry luncheon
- Meeting with my advisor
- Meeting with an industry member
- Give armband to Jason to mail
Not bad right??
(if you are a grad student reading this and are giggling hysterically because you know what’s about to happen then know that I am
deliriously laughing with you)
Now let’s move on to what I did today….this is in schedule form for my sanity
- 6:30am – wake up and decide that my “morning” swim can be done in the afternoon brilliant
- 8:30am – arrive at work and see that an email was sent out this morning about a seminar occurring in appox. 1.5 hrs. cool. still have time to kinda chill and wake up a bit. also see industry meeting for the afternoon was finalized to start at 2:30pm just like planned. awesome.
- 9:00am – go into lab to do some final testing on armband
- 10:00am – grab coffee and head over to the next building for the seminar. realize that you’ll have to leave the seminar early and there are no aisle seats. great.
- 10:23 am – seminar starts late. hope it’s not about something I need to know about
- 10:24 am – shit. the seminar is relevant to my interests and I still have to leave early
- 10:30 am – receive text from friend I haven’t seen in a while. wants to go out for dinner/drinks to celebrate his birthday. I come to the realization that one workout will probably not happen today.
- 10:55 am – sprint back to other building and grab notebook and armband to show advisor in meeting
- 11:00 am – advisor thinks armband looks great (YAY) wants more modifications done before shipping armband (WTF PANIC)
- 11:01 – 11:57 am – speed walk with advisor as we traverse the textiles building looking for supplies to complete armband modifications. don’t have all supplies. need to go to fabric store today.
- 11:57am – shit. need to be at industry luncheon in 3 min in other building
- 12:01 pm – arrive at industry luncheon slightly out of breath with no clue what’s going on
- 12:30 pm – be told that local news will be filming our research at 1:30 and that we’re expected to be there
- 1:17 pm – luncheon wraps up. find out that film crew arrived early. sprint back to textiles building to notify advisor and grab demos
- 1:30 pm – get volunteered by advisor to be interviewed (of all the days to not wear makeup and dress like a bum…ugh)
- 1:50 pm – realize that it’s a 25 min commute to industry meeting and the film crew shows no signs of wrapping up
- 1:55 pm – sprint to textiles building to grab purse
- 1:56 pm – sprint back to film crew to grab demos/armband
- 2:02 pm – get stopped on the way to the car and need to chat for a min about diversity in the center/when the armband will ship out
- 2:06 pm – grab a coke zero from the office fridge because good god I’m thirsty and am in desperate need of caffeine and the water bottles are out of reach
- 2:16 pm – start 25 min journey to meeting at 2:30. phone decides to not get signal and lose all forms of connectivity forcing me to restart it while driving so I can actually know where I’m going
- 2:25 pm – get stuck behind the ONE PERSON ON THE INTERSTATE GOING 45 MPH WHEN THE SPEED LIMIT IS 70 MPH with no time to pass him before the exit
- 2:26 pm – reach exit and send slow person silent curses
- 2:32 pm – pass gas station and realize that my car is basically out of gas
- 2:36 pm – arrive at industry meeting
- 4:00 pm – leave industry meeting (which was longer than expected but useful) and fill up my car
- 4:30 pm – arrive at fabric store
- 4:59 pm – back on campus
- 5:05 pm – decide I have enough time before dinner outing to make the necessary modifications to armband
- 5:28 pm – finish armband modifications. realize there is definitely no way I can get both workouts in. realize I’m going to be late to the dinner
- 6:00 pm – BEER YAAAAAAAYY BEER
- 7:00 pm – 2nd BEER YAAAAAAAAAAY 2nd BEER
- 8:30 pm – get home to let the dog out and feed her and change into bike gear for trainer workout
- 8:45 pm – begin 50 min bike trainer workout
Ok, I got tired just typing that, but that, unfortunately, is a fairly typical day in my life. Balls to the wall crazy. Last min meetings. Total chaos. Yep.
It’s now 11:30 at night and I’m going to bed. See ya tomorrow!